Thursday, May 21, 2009

My most unusual cookbook


Most of you have quite a few cookbooks, just like I do. Today, I would like to share my most unusual cookbook. It is also one that I often use. The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook: The Foods You've Always Loved Without the Ingredients You Can't Have!, by Marilyn Gioannini lives up to it's title and is really helpful for those of us who are tired of endlessly reading the labels of products in the grocery store health food aisle, only to discover that one or two of the ingredients wouldn't do for an allergic relative.

The author begins by telling how she suffered from multiple food allergies and felt she couldn't eat anything. She tells you how to go on an elimination diet to determine what foods are bothering you. She then explains how to go on a rotation diet to help prevent you from developing food allergies or stop further allergies.

One of the things I like are the lists of common food allergies and the related foods that can also cause problems. It also introduced me to unfamiliar grains and foods that rarely cause food allergies. Many are on my list to try.

The book includes great recipes for the problems of gluten-free flours, such as oat and rice flours. Through research and testing, she has found many ways to help the gluten-free flours have a better texture and consistency. You can even make muffins that have no wheat, milk, corn, eggs or any of the normal things that cause allergies -- and they taste surprisingly good.

In fact, many of the recipes are surprisingly good. Some recipes may take a little practice but I can see how it is possible to have allergies and have fairly normal meals. Plus, you can save tons of money by making things yourself. Have you priced gluten-free food lately?

Next week I will share an edible muffin recipe for a person with multiple allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment