Monday, June 8, 2009

A perfect little tea set


I have been looking for a tea set (actually a demitasse set) that was just the right size for a little girl's tea party. Even though I really wanted pink or purple flowers, I think this will work perfectly, especially since I have four tea cups with the same pattern. It is perfect for my four-year-old granddaughter who really loves to come over for tea.

The best thing about it was that it was only $6.00. I had been searching for something similar at yard sales but I have a hard time finding tea items that are worth anything at yard sales. Also, you can't beat this price for a perfect tea set. All of the other sets I have previously found were priced from $30 to $70. I am sure we will get hours of enjoyment and countless memories from it.

I have had to set up a few "rules" for myself when I go to yard sales or antique and junk stores. I can't buy it just because I like it. It must fit some useful purpose, be something I really need, or must be something I can resale for a higher price. This tea set fits into one of these categories because it is something I had been looking for and even though I will admit I really didn't "need" it, it will serve a useful purpose.

Who can resist a good bargain? I have a few "good" bargains in my basement that were mistakes. The worst one was a Foosball table that I thought would really be fun. It only needs a couple of parts to be perfect and it is still in the same condition it was in when I bought it for only $5. What was I thinking? That is a perfect example of why I had to make my rules. Do you have any "rules" for shopping second-hand?

1 comment:

  1. You *finally* found the longed-for tea set! It is lovely! As far as my "rules" for second-hand shopping, I try to operate by William Morris' advice: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” (Of course that covers a LOT of territory, ha!)

    ReplyDelete