Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dog days of summer

Summer is winding down. Children will soon start to school and we are in what my mother always called the "dog days" of summer. I never quite understood what that meant but I knew it was usually hot and dry when she mentioned it. Things are not quite as lush as they were at the beginning of the summer. There aren't too many flowers left but some varieties of roses are still blooming.

There aren't too many wild flowers now, but you can still find a few. I can't identify the one above but isn't it pretty?

The one flower you can always count on in august is the marigold. It is cheerful right up until frost.

1 comment:

  1. Since I actually *like* warm weather, I guess I'm rather like the marigold: cheerful right up until frost!

    ReplyDelete