Thursday, August 27, 2009

Getting down and "dirty" with garden soil

Above is a photo after an afternoon of tilling the soil to prepare for our fall garden.

The results are finally in from our soil samples we sent in a little more than a week ago and the news is good. We have really good soil but we would benefit by lowering our ph levels. That means we need to add a half pound of garden sulfur for each 1,000 square feet. I had never heard of garden sulfur but they sell organic sulfur so I think we are good there.

Their other recommendation was to add 20 pounds of 16-4-8 per 1,000 square ft for medium feeders like beans and cucumbers and to double that for heavy feeders like broccoli and greens. Now I need to find where I can get 16-4-8 in organic fertilizers or where I can find the information that will help us mix up our own. So far we have not had a scientific approach for gardening, but we are getting there.

Our report below, is in beautiful black and white.
We will begin fall planting this week and we want to make sure we make the soil the best it can be before we put in our plants. I think these recommendations have been very valuable. We will see how they help. I am happy about this service and plan to take advantage of it every growing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment