Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Useful -- not flashy, but it's free

Recently, I ordered the free, bi-weekly publication, pictured above, by our state agriculture department. I remember that my father received the "Market Bulletin" during the entire time I was growing up. It is certainly not flashy -- no color -- no pretty photos, but it does look to be useful, since we have decided to have a garden.

Inside, farmers, gardeners and crafters place ads to sale or buy cows, horses, chickens, rabbits, fish, farm tractors and equipment, seeds, flowers, plants, manure, feed, hay, quilts, handmade dolls and so much more. Need farm employment, equine products or a granite grist mill stone? You can place classifieds for things you need, too.

There is even a category called "oddities." Listings include frozen catalpa worms, lucky buckeyes and peacock feathers. That is odd.

There is a recipe in each issue, and interesting bits of information like a 2009 planting schedule for fall vegetables and upcoming agricultural events in our state.

Did I find anything I am interested in? I thought the organic workshops were interesting and I may just call the person in Gainesville who is selling a gallon of old-fashioned multiplying onions for $12. I can't wait for the Handicraft Edition that comes out on September 9. Might be a great place to look for Christmas gifts.

I don't think it will take the place of the local newspaper, and I may not be able to take advantage of things being sold in the far corners of the state, but I am looking forward to finding out what kind of neighbor-to-neighbor country products I can find.

If you don't live in Georgia, check out your state's agricultural office or extension office to see if they have any free publications for you.

1 comment:

  1. Some of my favorite "old" recipes were things my grandmother saved out of the old Market Bulletin, so I subscribed last year myself!

    ReplyDelete