Thursday, September 3, 2009

An old-fashioned relish recipe

The other day, we had to get rid of a few of our tomato plants to make room for our fall garden. There were still some sad-looking green tomatoes on the vines. My mother suggested I make some green tomato chow chow.

I do remember eating chow chow, which is a relish made with cabbage and green tomatoes. I looked at some old recipe books my mother gave me, and in the book called, "Canning for Your Family," by the Cooperative Extension service at "the University of Georgia College of Agriculture, 1961," I found a few recipes that I adapted into what will be my family relish recipe.

What did my mother think? Delicious. My husband agreed.


Chow Chow

6 cups cabbage, finely chopped
24 green tomatoes, chopped
4 large bell peppers, chopped
6 jalapeno peppers, chopped with seeds removed
2 onions, chopped
4 cups cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons ground mustard
2 tablespoons turmeric
1 tablespoons celery seed

Makes around 6 pints.
Put all ingredients in a large stockpot and let it come to a boil, stirring every few minutes. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Fill jars and follow all the normal procedures for pressure canning, to process for 15 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure.

If you decide NOT to pressure can, you should simmer until it is the consistency of relish and put in jars. At this point it can be frozen. I know it will last for at least a month in the refrigerator but this recipe doesn't have any preservatives so be very careful not to save it too long without canning or freezing.

This relish is great on hot dogs and with vegetables, especially beans.

1 comment: