Monday, November 30, 2009

Baked chocolate pie

One of the extra things I made for Thanksgiving was this baked chocolate pie. Everyone liked it so much that I had to bake another one on Saturday. I had been looking for a chocolate pie recipe and I ran across this one, hand-written in one of my old cookbooks. I don't know where I got this recipe but the verdict was: Yummy! I thought it was one of the easiest pies I have baked. I really liked that I didn't have to cook it on top of the stove.

I would definitely bake it again.

Baked Chocolate Pie

1 uncooked, nine-inch pie crust
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 level Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
Pinch of salt

Mix dry ingredients. Set aside. Mix wet ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir in the dry ingredients until well blended. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 375 degrees until firm. Top with meringue or whipped cream when serving.

Meringue

4 egg whites
1/3 teaspoon cream of tarter
8 Tablespoons sugar

Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Beat egg whites and cream of tarter until they are frothy. Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Pour on top of baked pie and bake in the oven for three to five minutes or until top is lightly browned.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like quite a yummy recipe! And we have the same Spode Christmas dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Approximately how long does it need to bake?

    ReplyDelete