Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Buttermilk pie makes its own crust

I've always liked egg custards. I think this recipe is basically a lower fat version of an egg custard, plus this simple pie makes its own crust as it bakes. The "secret" ingredient is, of course, buttermilk, and my mother once told me this old-fashioned recipe was probably created to use up leftover buttermilk or made when regular milk wasn't available. When you consider this recipe is from an era when refrigeration wasn't widespread, this is understandable.

It is so easy. Mix it up and pour it into a pie plate, then bake.

I made two. They look very good. Yummy.

The great thing about this pie is probably that it is lower in fat and you can eat it plain, or dress it up as I have done with berries and whipped cream. I think this makes a spring treat. It would be a great Easter dessert.

Crust less Buttermilk Pie

3 eggs
1-1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break eggs into bowl. Mix in eggs and the rest of the ingredients. Grease a glass pie plate with butter. Either fill greased pie plate with the pie mixture and place into the oven on a center rack, or to avoid spills, pull out the center rack of the preheated oven with an oven mitt and place pie plate on the rack. Then pour the pie mixture into the pie plate and carefully push the rack back into the oven. Be sure to do this carefully so as not to touch the hot oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good AND easy ... and it reminds me I need to make one of the pies out of a great new cookbook I got for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete