Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Grilled Salmon Salad

OK. If you saw the title for this dish you might ask if I really grilled a salad. The answer is -- not the salad, but I did grill the salmon before I made the salad -- or at least my husband did.

I am of the opinion that if you grill something, it will make almost any dish better. In this case, it really does make this dish. So try it. It also doesn't smell up your kitchen when fish is grilled outdoors -- that is, if you can find a day when your grill isn't covered with snow!

It is easy to grill salmon. Just salt two salmon fillets and place them on a baking pan. You may want to cover the pan with tin foil before you put the salmon on the pan. Don't use your best baking pan because the grill will not be kind to any pan you grill with. Grill on medium heat until the meat is flaky, about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and flake fish into a large mixing bowl. I always search carefully for bones. I really hate it when I leave a fish bone. I search through each piece.

Add to the fish:
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise (I try to use as little mayonnaise as possible, but you need to add enough to make the tuna stick together but don't overdo. I prefer Dukes mayonnaise.)

Stir all together and serve with crackers. I really like this dish with the Firecrackers, you may remember from a previous post.

1 comment: