Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Healthy snacking

For the past few days I have been fighting a nasty cold. This morning I thought of that old saying, "Feed a cold, starve a fever." I definitely wanted to "feed my cold" something healthy. I didn't have any canned chick peas to make hummus at home, so I decided to try to look for some healthy hummus at Publix on my way to work. I half expected to find only hummus with a list of unhealthy ingredients as long as my arm, most of which I couldn't even read. At first I was right, I couldn't pronounce the ingredients! I couldn't eat that stuff!

Then I spotted these snack-size hummus cups filled with ingredients I could read. Actually there were only a few ingredients -- the same I would put in my homemade hummus. I knew this was my lunch. I have heard of Tribe products before and was glad to find them at Publix.

For lunch I filled a whole wheat pita with lettuce, sprouts and hummus. It was great. The price was about $2.00. Not wonderful, but good since I didn't have time to make it from scratch.

I also bought this fresh fruit. They were just putting it out and I was feeling a little dizzy and shaky because of all the cold medicine I had taken in the last several days. I snacked on this in the morning and it really did help. No shakes and I felt better the rest of the day. I will remember this the next time I am running a bit late or run out of things at home.

1 comment:

  1. I love Publix's fruit, and it always seems quite fresh. Did not know about the hummus cups, and I will be trying those. (Get well soon!)

    ReplyDelete