Friday, February 26, 2010

Love those old cookbooks

I love old cookbooks produced and sold by churches and civic groups as fundraisers. I have a number of them and frankly, I don't think I could have enough. I can understand why people collect and treasure them.

Today I was in a second-hand shop in Newnan, What's in Store, and found this cookbook for $3.00. I snatched it up in a hurry. I think this one was so unusual because it is all hand-printed, presumably by the person who submitted the recipe.

There is also a section of peanut recipes, as you might expect from a Plains, Georgia publication. Peanuts are this farming area's biggest crop and there is also a section for the Carter family, the regions most famous residents.

The recipes are old, southern favorites, just as I would expect. Really I thought the recipes were really good for a 1977 publication.

I immediately liked the pickle and relish recipes included in this cookbook.

I also liked the cornbread and Hoecake recipes -- and don't you trust Floy Bagwell to be a great cook? I do. Just her name makes this recipe promising to me.


I know I will be making relish with the peppers from my garden this summer and the recipe above. It looks like a great recipe. There are quite a few vegetable recipes in this cookbook, perfect for a person who likes gardening. In fact this cookbook is packed with interesting recipes -- some I remember from my childhood. I know I will get my three bucks worth, at least.

2 comments:

  1. I love old cookbooks, too! You just never know what you're going to find - and the organization and their history is part of the fun.

    Your photos are nice and bring the books to life.
    Thanks for the interesting post,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete