Friday, February 19, 2010

Making your own garden containers -- in this issue

Last week the March issue of Martha Stewart Living came in the mail and I put it away because I just didn't have time to read it. I finally got it out a couple of days ago and found it contains some really useful tips I know I will use this spring.

My favorite is a how-to guide for making containers from cement, peat moss and perlite. I saw a similar how-to article in Southern Living a couple of years ago. I tried making one at that time but found the containers were too heavy. Maybe I didn't make them exactly right. I do intend to try again using the new directions. I liked the way these containers looked -- especially the ones made in baskets that have a woven look. The perlite should help this version to be lighter. We'll see.

I liked the tomato primer. Being southern, I really love tomatoes and plan to grow a number of varieties this year.

I always like tips on preserving food and there were some included. Of course I just loved the gardening articles. I really find them inspiring, especially in a colder than normal winter. I am sure I am not alone, but I want to be out planting my garden. This issue just intensified that desire. I sure hope I can get in the garden soon.

A tip: If you go to the Martha Stewart Living website, you can download a coupon to save $1 on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment