Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sprouting seeds

Yesterday when I arrived home I found the sprouting seeds I had ordered were waiting for me and I couldn't wait wait to start sprouting. I had to order them from Amazon.com because I couldn't find them at the grocery store. I had even looked for them at Whole Foods but they no longer sell the seeds, just the sprouts. I guess I can see why. Sprouting seeds are between $7.95 and $11.95 per pound and the already sprouted seeds in the grocery store are between $2 and $4 for a few ounces of sprouts. The savings is unbelievable.

I bought two kinds of seeds, alfalfa and "broccoli and friends mix." I had to buy the broccoli mix just because of the name. I didn't know broccoli had "friends." The "friends" are crimson clover, china radish and alfalfa. Who knew?

I grow my sprouts in a clear wide-mouth quart jar and I have had the plastic screw on lids I use for draining them for years. You can purchase systems for sprouting but I really like this low tech version because I can just throw it all in the dishwasher for cleaning.

I just measure out the seed, usinge either one or one and a half tablespoon of seeds.

Then I add water and cap it. The seeds will soak overnight.

In the morning I will drain the water and allow it to sit in a sunny place. I will rinse the seeds twice a day and after they start sprouting, I will turn the jar so that the sprouts grow and "green up" well on all sides. They will be nice and green and not anemic, as the last few batches of sprouts I have purchased in the store have been. It will take between 3 and 5 days and I will really enjoy the sprouts in salads and on sandwiches.

In the next day or so I will start my next jar of "broccoli and friends" using lid with a larger screen. If I alternate, I can have fresh and inexpensive organic sprouts every day.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you could do this! And now I can't wait to learn more about your "broccoli and friends"!

    ReplyDelete