Thursday, April 22, 2010

Salad from the garden

When I arrived home yesterday from work, my husband had a big surprise for me. He spent some time working in the garden and brought home the first harvested vegetable -- mixed salad greens. I will admit I was very excited.

I knew our lettuce was really growing and the rain a couple of days ago, plus the cooler weather were very beneficial. I knew it was just a matter of days, but this was a complete surprise and welcome treat. He picked a mix of green and red lettuce, mesculun and even a little watercress. It was really good.

If you are wondering if lettuce you grow yourself is better than from the store, the answer is definitely! It is fresher and will keep longer than what you get in the store. If you think about it, you can eat lettuce straight out of the ground where the supermarket variety has to be trucked in, usually from Florida or south Georgia.

Well, you do have to wash it first. I know you knew that.

This photo, above, was taken a little over a week ago. The lettuce has really grown since then.

I was a little worried that the weather getting so warm all of a sudden might harm our lettuce but now I can see I shouldn't have worried. We should have lettuce at least until some of our other vegetables are ready to pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment