Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Zucchinis in bloom

I could hardly believe my eyes yesterday when I saw my first zucchini. I think it is pretty early for harvesting squash even though I can clearly tell I will have at least one very soon.

There are so ways to use zucchini. Of course it is very healthy but it is great to use in stir-frys, casseroles, and in baked goods, too. I like to grate the zucchini and freeze it in small bags. It is very convenient when frozen in small quantities. It is of course, especially good in zucchini bread or muffins.

I also like to use zucchini to fool kids into eating a serving of vegetables. It makes an excellent filler in soup or spaghetti. Zucchini doesn't have a very strong flavor and when you grate it, you can't really tell it is even an ingredient. Kids can't even tell if you don't overdo it. You might have to cook the dish a little longer to reduce the squash because it does contain a good deal of water, but the squash will greatly increase the nutritional value of your dish.

Last year, I had planned to cook squash blooms. I have heard they are very good -- a delicacy -- but I just never got around to it. This year I plan to try it at least one time. I am wishing the squash would hurry but I think if I ignore it, it might grow even faster.

1 comment:

  1. So the harvest begins! I'm looking forward to reading more about your recipes and cooking as the season goes along!

    ReplyDelete