Friday, June 11, 2010

Patio plants

My very sweet sister has been very energetic lately. She has been potting patio plants for me (and others). The plants look wonderful! I hope I don't disappoint her by forgetting to water and feed them!


She washed some old pots and potted both flower and vegetable plants so my patio could have a little green and if I need a quick tomato or pepper, I can go out back and pick what I need. These tomatoes, above, will need staking soon but they look very healthy. They are cherry tomatoes that bear heavily once they get started.

You do have to tend potted plants like these with plenty of TLC. They need plenty of water, usually every day or sometimes even twice a day. When plants are in the ground, they have the advantage of a natural cooling process in the evening. Plants in pots like these don't have that advantage so they need more water. Also, frequent watering can flush away the minerals and vital nutrients they need to flourish so they may also need more plant food.



I took this photo at night. I can water late at night -- like I did last night, if I want to. I just must build a routine around watering so I don't forget.

Isn't my sister sweet. I am so glad she has a green thumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment