Monday, June 7, 2010

Photo of the week


This spaghetti squash is my photo of the week. I don't think I could possibly show a photo I would like quite so well. The spaghetti squash were planted behind the acorn squash and in front of the very tall  parsnips. They were out of sight and definitely out of mind.

That is what made their appearance such a welcome surprise. This one climbed halfway up the wire trellis and showed itself by growing up and over the wire. I especially like the tendrils shaped like curlicues. They wrap themselves around each level of the wire as they grow, pulling themselves up to catch more of the sun.

The squash is like different shades of the same color and eventually should be a whitish-yellow. They could grow quite large but I won't know just how large for awhile. It should take awhile for it to mature -- like butternuts and acorn squashes.

It has always been one of my favorite hard squashes because I use it like wheat pasta with my spaghetti sauce. I usually cut it in half, place it in a bowl with about a half cup of water and microwave it a few minutes at a time until it is soft and the insides look -- well, kind of like spaghetti. Using a fork I rake the insides out into a bowl -- or my plate and I either use it as a vegetable or as a base for my spaghetti sauce. I think it is yummy and it has a very low glycemic index so it is very good for you.

It's a new vegetable for us this year and so far, I also like to see them grow.

1 comment:

  1. I love that photo, too. Such a delicate looking plant. Very nice. Thanks for sharing and have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete