Thursday, July 29, 2010

Blueberry pickin'



Last evening we went to our cousin's house to pick blueberries. The photos I took don't show how many wonderful, delicious blueberries that filled their bushes. We picked and picked until it was almost dark. It was wonderful.

Their daughter has been getting up every morning and picking blueberries. She is trying to keep up with the abundance of ripe berries she finds each morning but there are so many blueberries that it is hard to keep up.



My sister and I each picked a gallon plus a little more. I know we will really enjoy these fresh berries. When you pick them, they are fresher than at the store -- and I think more delicious.

My favorite way to have them is just plain as a snack but I also like them in smoothies, over cereal, with yogurt and with whipped cream. They are also good spooned over vanilla ice cream. I have been known to add them to a pound cake, too.

The good thing about blueberries is they are full of antioxidants and give your nutrient counts a real boost. I really appreciate my cousins for inviting us over to share in their harvest.

3 comments:

  1. Nice photos! I love blueberries, too - and they're so good for you. Have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what nice cousins to let you share. I'm still enjoying all those from my mom's earlier this year. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete