Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting ready for school


Last weekend, while visiting Pell City, Alabama, we were honored to be given a tour of our cousin, Kelly's first grade classroom. As I looked around at the freshly waxed floors and the classroom that was quickly being readied for fifteen or more, bright-eyed, six-year-olds, I was exhausted by all the work she had done. I was also thinking how proud I was of her and how blessed these children were to take advantage of all of her careful planning and hard work.


Each classroom in the school had a "theme" with artwork everywhere -- bright colors to attract the attention of so many inquisitive little minds. Things have changed so much, since my children were in school. I don't believe they ever had a classroom quite this wonderful.


There were two computers, a TV and video equipment in this one classroom. It was amazing and wonderful. Everywhere I looked, there was something to make a child feel welcome.


Colorful name tags for each child.


And even a wall, painted in bright colors to help youngsters learn.

I also thought about all of the parents running around picking out school supplies and trying to find the perfect outfit for their child to wear that first day. I know it can be a bit overwhelming, but just think of teachers like my cousin Kelly at Eden Elementary. They are anxiously preparing for your child and 14, or more, of their new classmates -- cleaning, painting walls, sewing curtains, making name tags and literally hundreds of other tasks to get your child's school year off to a good start.

When you take your child into their new classroom, don't begin by telling the teacher how hard it was to get all the supplies on the list at the store. Please take a few minutes to look around at the classroom displays, take a deep breath and say, "Thank you for all you have done."

2 comments:

  1. What a nice story! I like all the bright colors that your cousin used - she looks so prepared. I like your comments about taking the time to appreciate all that the teacher has done, before 'running-on' about how hard it was to get all the school supplies. Teachers rarely get thanked and they sure do work so hard, to teach our children. Your cousin seems so dedicated - please pass along a 'Thank you to a Teacher,' for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so nice! My cousin is a very dedicated teacher and a wonderful person. I will pass along your sentiments. It is unbelievable how much work teachers put into creating a nice environment for their students.

    ReplyDelete