Thursday, August 19, 2010

A new way to cook okra


One of the plants that loves hot weather is okra. This year we have had plenty of hot weather so that means we have also had more okra. (Last year we had to fight the deer for the okra. This year we have the electric fence so we get to keep the okra.)

There are a number of ways to use okra. It is great in soups and gumbos and it freezes well for that purpose. I also like boiled okra, though that is probably not what most people prefer. Everyone in my family, with the exception of my son, loves fried okra. It is really great, but I really hate to make it too often because it has so much oil in it.

A couple of weeks ago, my mother came up with a great, easy solution. She found out how to cook the okra in a little oil in the microwave, and honestly, it is almost as good as the fried recipe. I have been cooking it often and I really love it.

Microwave Fried Okra

Cut up 3 cups of okra, place 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a microwave safe dish with a lid, stir the okra in the oil, add salt and pepper and microwave for three to four minutes, covered. Remove from microwave using potholders (the dish will be hot). Stir in 2 tablespoons of cornmeal, cover and return it to the microwave another 3 minutes or until it is bright green. It won't be browned by just using the microwave. If you want it browned, put it under the oven broiler for 3 to 5 minutes. You can make a larger batch just as easily by adding more of all the ingredients, but it will need more time in the microwave.

I think it would also work in a skillet in the oven, too. I just like the ease of using the microwave.

Thanks Mom! This is really a great recipe.

5 comments:

  1. Great recipe - how creative! I can't wait to try this, thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how you dress it up and cook it, it is still slimy, nasty okra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what you do to it, it's the best vegetable out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is more easier than I thought! I like this recipe better than time consuming Okra in gravy or chinese stir fry!

    ReplyDelete