Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gourds


About a month ago we planted some pumpkins and at the same time we planted bottle gourds. I love gourds and think we may have some before frost, if things go well. We haven't grown them before and we really don't know what to expect. I didn't expect these delicate flowers, but there are hundreds of them covering the gourd vines. The light green powder on the dark green leaves is garden dust to help keep the squash bugs away.


I also didn't expect to see white flowers.


The flowers are only blooming for one day. Some of the flowers are male and some are female. The male flowers tend to bloom at night. Underneath the female flowers, a bulb forms and this will be a gourd.


I know gourds are useful for many purposes and can be used for birdhouses, and for decorating. My father used them mainly to grow gourds to make birdhouses for Martins.

Indians used to grow them to make tools and utensils. They made bowls, containers, dippers and probably things I can't even imagine. The gourds harden and you have to saw them open to get the seeds out. I think small ones were used for baby rattles. I have also seen some beautiful art objects made from gourds and I would like to use them in that way, depending on the size and shape of our gourds and, of course, if we have any at all.

I remember, as a girl drinking cold water from a dipper made from a gourd. I thought it was great.




I also wanted to give an update on the floating row cover over my squash. The squash are really looking good and every day I like the row cover more. The plants are protected from bugs and I think the vines are growing faster under the row cover. I really like it!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are growing gourds! They are such neat and useful things, and I love to see martins coming in and out of them. I have very fond memories of them from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew - that gourds has such beautiful, delicate flowers? Your photos are gorgeous! I think gourds are really neat and I have always been impressed with artists who use gourds for their artwork.

    In Fairburn, there was an Antique Shop (tragically, the shop and a few other stores burned down, last February) on Main Street that had some gourds that were painted just beautifully! Even the smallest gourds were turned into festive Christmas ornaments. These can last for a long time, I was told.

    And in Missouri, gourds are used for Martin birdhouses, too. You would see them all over and at various festivals, they would be beautifully painted. Thanks for a great post, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the flowers on the gourds look just like blossoms I've seen on my white African violet.

    And by the way, I would *love* a gourd that could be made into a teapot craft, if God happens to send you one that looks like that!

    ReplyDelete