Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Our September garden


I just wanted to give an update on our garden. We are slowly turning our garden into a fall garden with plants that like cooler weather. The only problem I can see is there hasn't been very much cooler weather. It has been awfully hot. We planted collards and they are looking good -- they may be growing a little too fast. I don't know.


Our eggplants were almost dead but my sister cut them back and they responded by growing into really beautiful plants. They were really attacked by bugs but it is obvious they do well in warm weather. We now need to make sure the bugs don't attack the new growth. I think the bloom is beautiful.


I am excited about our gourds. We have quite a few and they are very small. I am hopeful we will have some larger gourds by frost. It's a shame I didn't get the photo above in focus. The gourd is also dirty from the water splashed on while watering the day before.


Here's another small one. It is in focus.


We found an old large wire cage that is about 12 feet high. We will soon have a gourd tower. It was the only way to get the gourds off the collards.


It's a little hard to see because the soil was wet but we have kale -- my favorite green -- so healthy.


Our okra is still growing and looking good.


Some of these pods are a little too big but we have plenty of okra for even our Mother. Okra is her favorite. When we ask her what she needs, the answer is usually okra.


We have peppers. Our bells look especially good.


And a small pumpkin. I sure hope we have some for Halloween. They look promising.


And we have more pumpkin blooms.


Our squash are still undercover. We are just waiting for blooms to give the bees a chance to pollinate.


We almost have some sunflower blooms. The stalks are between eight and ten feet tall.


Our older tomatoes are blooming again. The heat was almost too much for them.


And we also have some new tomatoes. Will they produce? It depends on the weather.

1 comment:

  1. I love your photos! The eggplant bloom is beautiful, I never knew they had blossoms.
    And the tiny pumpkin, how cute is that? I hope you get a few grown, for Halloween. And the beautiful pumpkin bloom, that's so pretty.
    Thank you so much for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete