Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall cleaning


I have been putting off a job I didn't want to do for some time. This past Saturday I finally tackled cleaning the tile in my bathroom and I will admit I feel so much better. That job has been weighing on me for a very long time. I think it is also a good idea to admit that sometimes I just let some things go and even though it might be embarrassing, I am kind of proud of myself to finally get it done.

It was really just grime. Even though I have mopped over and over, I think sometimes I just pushed dust and grime into the grout where it just turned dark over time -- very frustrating.


I have looked over and over again for products that can clean a tile floor with ease but I just can't find any. The only thing I have ever been able to use on tile is bleach and elbow grease. So I took some bleach cleanser, a brush and a cleaning cloth and got to work. After a few minutes, it began to pay off.

I think the main thing I had to watch were the fumes from the bleach. If anyone has a better method, please let me know what you would do. I would prefer to use something other than bleach, a bucket of water and a scrub brush, but it is the best thing I know of for cleaning soiled grout.


I must admit, the tile does look better and I now won't be embarrassed to let someone see my bathroom floor. I need to move on to other projects to finish my fall cleaning. I will be sure to clean more deeply from now on. I don't want my floor to get this bad again.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful job you've done there, but hey, whose idea was it to make grout white anyway? Wouldn't black have been so much nicer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I think I should regrout a much darker color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, Deberah, but I agree that the white grout 'gets dirty,' from the moment it goes down! I have seen shades of grey used as grout and it does not show the dirt nearly so much. Good job with the bleach and I know it's a good feeling to get that off your to-do list,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete