Friday, October 1, 2010

Gluten-free section doesn't give much credit

I just received my new copy of Healthy Cooking by Taste of Home and noticed it is still a colorful magazine filled with recipes but towards the back of this issue I saw something that I found very irritating. In fact, it is one of my pet peeves. 

In a section were the recipes are labeled gluten-free, all of the recipes in the section are naturally gluten-free. I think this is treating people who can't tolerate gluten like they obviously don't know anything about what to eat. I guess I could see these recipes in an article about what you should eat if you have celiac disease, or a gluten allergy, but this just seems silly to me.


I would think if a person needed to be on a gluten free diet, they usually know that steak and potatoes don't contain gluten. Don't you think a person who has this problem eats plenty of potatoes and meat? I would think gluten-free bread or cookies or pudding or something that might normally contain gluten but doesn't with a great new recipe, would be a more helpful thing for this section. Honestly.

Maybe the deadline was looming and the editors decided they hadn't come up with anything so they began to discuss it and said something like, "These people can eat potatoes so lets add steak. Steak doesn't have gluten either. Who wouldn't like that." I think most people can bake a gluten-free potato, even without a recipe. Give me a break! Let's just say they didn't dig very deep for this section.

I could make a long alphabetized list of foods that have never contained gluten. But I think you have enough common sense to already know that.

3 comments:

  1. Deberah, I totally agree! Very lame on their part. Thank you for sharing & hope you have a great weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. And since when were steak and mashed potatoes considered healthy? Aren't they part of the reason Americans are so fat in the first place? Are all the recipes as "healthy"?

    ReplyDelete