Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ten ways to use peppers


Our family loves peppers -- all kinds really, but I particularly love bell peppers. We were a bit disappointed when we didn't have as many peppers in our garden as last year but now that the weather has cooled our peppers are bearing again. I don't know if we will have as many as last year, but they have picked up lately and I am enjoying every pepper.

Here are our top ten ways to use peppers. I mean all kinds, sweet and hot. This is not necessarily in the order of my preference.

1. I love to just eat them as snacks or along with a sandwich. They are nice and crunchy, especially if chilled and I like them better than chips -- full of flavor but not the fat.

2. In the mornings I often make egg white omelets. I begin with chopped onions and peppers in a non-stick skillet with a very small amount of oil. After they are cooked tender, I add chopped spinach, tomatoes and sometimes mushrooms and saute a bit more. I then add a couple of egg whites along with salt and pepper. It's very good and I usually don't like egg whites alone, but I could eat this every day.


3. There are so many ways to prepare the peppers like the recipe I gave you in September. http://everydayfinesse.blogspot.com/2010/09/grilled-stuffed-peppers.html


4. They are very colorful and could make a nice centerpiece. They won't last long without refrigeration but if you wash them and dry them, they can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks.

5. I like adding peppers to almost any stir-fry. Sometimes I saute onions and peppers, then add frozen vegetables (I would recommend a Chinese stir-fry variety). Just add soy sauce and maybe a little grated ginger and it is really yummy.


6. This relish recipe from last year is a good one. I haven't had enough peppers to make it this year but maybe in a week or so. This is really good on hot dogs and served with beans.
http://everydayfinesse.blogspot.com/2009/09/old-fashioned-relish-recipe.html


7. One of my favorite ways to use peppers is in fajitas. My husband usually grills steak or chicken and we cut it up and add to an onion mushroom and pepper saute. I sometimes buy packaged fajita flavoring and then add the chopped, grilled meat. We chop tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro and avocados, grate cheese, then heat up a can of nonfat refried beans and stuff it all into warmed flour tortillas. It's all kind of work intensive because there is just so much chopping and preparation, but after we take on the chore, it's one of our favorite meals.

8. We sometimes stuff peppers with cheese and bake them. We usually use the banana peppers, hot or sweet, wash them, slice them in half, remove the seeds, fill with grated cheese, then bake at 350 degrees until they are done, about 20 minutes. I have tried to use low fat cheese in these, but don't do it. It just doesn't work, in my opinion.

9. I also made this Mexican stuffed pepper dish last year and it was a winner in my family. Much easier than fajitas and has similar flavors.
http://everydayfinesse.blogspot.com/2009/08/mexican-stuffed-peppers.html

10. Then we love our canned peppers. They are really good.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post today - the photos are making me hungry! Very creative and peppers are so good for you. Thanks for the tips and have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete