Thursday, April 21, 2011

Two eager Easter bunnies


These two cousins got together last night at my house to decorate Easter eggs -- a tradition at our house. I thought that turning hard-boiled eggs into works of art might be dying out but when I went to the craft store, there were so many different kinds of egg kits that I decided it was still the "in" thing to do.

I think I really prefer using food coloring and vinegar rather than these kits but I thought it would be much easier with two eager Easter bunny apprentices, to just use the fizzy colors that came with the kit. I did like the egg-shaped cups, which I quickly placed on a cookie sheet. Glad I did because we had overflow.


Our finished products were encouraging. The kids loved the coloring and the glitter eggs (easy to do) and the shiny eggs (hard to do), but their favorite thing was the little wax crayon that came with the original coloring kit. They loved drawing a small figure or letter on the egg and then placing it in the dye to reveal their art. I will use this in the future because it was really great.

I thought about blowing out some eggs but with a 5- and 6-year-old, the shells would be too delicate for them. That would be better for when they are 8 or 9.


I think the best thing I found out -- mini muffin cups hold the finished eggs perfectly -- and they are pretty. Egg cartons would work, too, but I love the muffin cups.


We had so much fun and I am sure they will be dye-ing to do it again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post today - your photos are beautiful! Glad to see that egg dyeing is still going strong. Your helpers are very cute!
    Happy Easter to you & yours, Joanie

    ReplyDelete