Thursday, June 2, 2011

Harvesting cabbages


It has turned quickly into summer, especially this week with 90 degree temperatures. We are working to harvest the last of our early crops that won't last in hot weather. Among the plants we are working to harvest English peas, carrots, beets, lettuce, bok choy and today's featured vegetable, cabbage.

I do believe our cabbages are the prettiest we have ever grown. Our cabbage plants, above, really do look like big green roses to me. I almost hate to harvest them because when you pull up the entire plant and cut off the outside leaves, the "rose" is gone.


I will store my cabbages in the refrigerator and use them for slaw and for one of my favorite dishes, sauteed cabbage. My mother made it this same way and it is easy to do. Just cut the cabbage into small strips and then cut the strips into pieces. (I like to use some of the darker leaves because I think they contain more vitamins.) Add some olive oil in the bottom of a large iron skillet, heat the oil until it sizzles when you add a drop of water, then pour the cabbage in. Turn the burner on low and stir every few minutes until the cabbage is clear and well-cooked.

There will be some browned pieces -- the browning will add flavor. Add salt to taste and this will make a very good summer dish. Add shredded carrots and onions, if you wish. I like the cabbage without anything. It is a very flavorful dish and I like things where the true flavor of the vegetable is revealed. This is one of those recipes.


In our family, we don't really want the weather to turn hot but we really do appreciate all the extra, really great vegetables from our garden.

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy to a blooming rose...they really are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your recipe, as well.

    By the way, when I was a kid and would spend the night with my grandma, she knew how much I hated breakfast food, so she would boil or steam cabbage for me for breakfast. I love cabbage!! charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. They DO look like giant roses -- I had not thought of that! And I have never sauteed cabbage (which I enjoy) so will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete