Thursday, September 1, 2011

Flying Apron's Cookbook


I have been searching for a cookbook that would have some wonderful gluten-free AND vegan recipes. You can find plenty of great vegan cookbooks and I have seen a few promising gluten-free cookbooks but not together in one package.

Then I discovered the Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book and I thought, maybe. When I realized the author also had a bakery/restaurant in Washington, I thought I might have finally found something I could use. Usually, if the cookbook author has successfully run a restaurant, they have some good recipes. When I looked up the restaurant, I noticed it had changed hands but is doing well enough to add a new location. I also noticed that many of the same recipes in the cookbook are still on the menu. I knew then that this book could be a winner!

I haven't had as much time as I thought since purchasing the cookbook to try recipes, but I have made the Berry Oat Wondie Bars. I didn't take a photo of them because I was in a hurry to get out of town last week and I also didn't think, at first, that it was going to be a great recipe. I liked the ingredients and it wasn't a hard recipe. (I will admit I struggled a bit at first, as I do with most new recipes. I don't know why.) In the end they turned out pretty good, especially after they had cooled and I liked the wholesome ingredients.

Ultimately, this recipe passed the true test of a good recipe in my household ... my husband loved them and asked me to make more and my grandson (the one on a gluten-free diet) loved them and wondered why he was having dessert for breakfast. They really weren't too sweet but very fruity and delicious -- certainly better for you than those awful sweetened breakfast cereals.

There are a few notable recipes I am planning to try -- a pumpkin yest bread and some savory, baked main dish pockets that look great and could be adapted for gluten-free calzones. Sounds yummy and the recipes looked very good. They would make great meals with the addition of a salad and it is hard to imagine a "gluten-free" calzone with all the yummy flavors inside.

I will take photos when I make them.

Meanwhile, I am glad I own this cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment