Friday, September 16, 2011

Gluten-Free Bread on the Market


It can be tough for kids who can't have all the great-tasting foods that other kids can have. Wheat is just such a huge part of the American diet that when you are forced to make a change it can be a bit traumatic for those with food allergies and celiac disease.

There are a couple of new bread choices that have recently hit the grocery store shelves in our area. One is Rudi's gluten-free bakery and the other is Udi's gluten-free bakery. I was very confused at first and thought it was the same company. The names were so similar and both company hail from Colorado -- though one is from Denver an the other from Boulder.

When I looked in to it further, I realized that they were indeed two different companies. Rudi's has been selling organic bread for some time at Whole Foods Markets and have just recently provided gluten-free bread seekers with bread, buns, pizza crusts and bagels. They are known for using a low number of  healthy ingredients in their products.

Udi's is a newer company that opened in Boulder and they apparently own and operate some very nice restaurants and are trying to provide consumers with a good-tasting, alternative to gluten-containing products. I got the impression from their website that someone in the family has a wheat sensitivity. Whatever the reason, I can see a person using their old company name, even if it is eerily similar to a another bakery in their state.

Udi's does have a larger product line at this time for gluten-free foods. They carry breads, buns, bagels, muffins, pizza crusts and granola. I think the ingredients aren't quite as "healthy-sounding" to me but I haven't yet tested their products to see what I thought of the flavors.

One thing to consider, one of these gluten-free buns (which come four to a pack) come out to a hefty $1.25 a bun. This is very expensive compared to regular buns. We have the regular buns for non-sensitive members of our family and save the gluten-free ones just for our grandson. 

I am just glad they are responding to a need and getting some better-tasting gluten-free breads on the market. They can be purchased at Kroger and Publix in our local area. If you want to try them and the price is too high, download a coupon from their websites for $1 off.

http://www.rudisglutenfree.com

http://udisglutenfree.com/special-offers


My little grandson who is the wheat-sensitive one, didn't complain much when we took away his hamburger and hot dog buns but when we purchased some Rudi's buns he was so happy to have a hot dog in a real bun. He wanted to have them every day.

While our grandson is so over the moon about the buns, I can't really recommend one over the other at this point. I plan to do a side by side comparison at some point so I would love to include your comments on that subject. Just post a comment on my blog and I will include what you think. I can't wait to do a side-by-side comparison.

3 comments:

  1. These sound interesting, Deberah - we might have to give them a try. With the cost being higher, that could be off set by 'splitting' the hamburger bun, just using one bun on the bottom. I'm cutting back on calories and I do that a lot anyways. Thanks for sharing & hope you have a great weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah,

    I work at Udi's Gluten Free Foods and came across your post this morning. I would be happy to send you some of our hamburger buns to try, along with a loaf of our bread. If you're interested, send me an email at whofstetter@udisfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had both product...both are very good tasting bread..but my preference (being new to the gluten free foods) is for Rudi's bread...and I presonally can not eat the hamberger buns they are just too think and if you like ketchup on your hamberger/hotdog...it makes the bun soggy and taste yucky...so if I want a bun I dip my burger into the ketchup...and usually will pill the bun off about 1/2 way though and eat plan hamberger because it is just too much...which they made a thiner bun.

    ReplyDelete