Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Shoppping the Oriental Market for Chinese New Year


According to my calendar, Monday was Chinese New Year. That is the reason my six-year-old grandson and I made a trip to our local Oriental Market. I was shopping primarily for chopsticks so that the children in his class at school could eat Chinese food at their Friday afternoon celebration with the proper utensils. I bought 48 pairs for under two bucks. Quite a bargain, if you ask me.


Though I have been there on numerous occasions because of their great assortment of rice noodles, shallots, bean sprouts and many items that make staying on a rotary diet possible for a six-year-old with allergies.


Today, in addition to the chopsticks, we bought rice noodles, shallots, hibiscus tea, rice flour and something called shrimp chips, a shrimp and tapioca snack to prepare. I found out, too that their fresh vegetables come in on Wednesday, so I will go back, since in addition to being fresh, they are reasonably priced. They also have fresh Chinese sandwiches and of course all the traditional Chinese foods and all the ingredients to make them authentic.


The amazing thing is that this market is even in our small town at all, but it is here and located on the east side of Newnan on Bullsboro Drive, just past Shenandoah Boulevard on the right, in a small shopping center.


For those on gluten-free diets, it is certainly worth the trip and it was enjoyable to go with a sweet boy who was ready to go as soon as he found his chopsticks.

4 comments:

  1. Can't believe what a great bargain all those chopsticks were! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this market too. So nice to have one in Newnan! I urge you to visit. The price is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, Deberah - I have never been to this Market but now, I will make plans to do so. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy New Year to You, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Highly descriptive post, I enjoyed that a lot. Will there be part 2? http://www.exoticcarrental305.com

    ReplyDelete