Thursday, February 23, 2012

Brussels sprouts and honey bees


This past weekend I looked at our garden and noticed several things. First our Brussels sprouts are heading on the top like cabbages. Is this normal? We still are getting little Brussels sprouts on the stems but I am so surprised that we have one great big cabbage-like top. As long as the weather stays cool we will have these wonderful sprouts but if they stop producing and start making loose sprouts, we will try the top and probably shred it and cook it like cabbage.


The next thing, we have honey bees. We have been concerned that we haven't seen bees in our garden for the last couple of years. No bees. We have bumblebees but no honey bees until this winter. We have let some of our plants like this mustard go to seed to draw bees and we are so glad that they are back -- not in droves, but we have seen a few each time have have been to the garden. That has to be a good thing. I certainly had a problem getting a photo of this little honey bee. He was really dodging my camera. Click on the photo if you want to see our friendly garden helper.

The other thing was that it was so nice to be back in the garden. It was something I have been missing. My sister and I both agreed it would certainly be nice to start our spring garden. It's hard work but it's fun, too.

I also wanted to remind everyone about the charter meeting of the Crossroads Garden Club on Tuesday evening, February 28th, at 3072 Highway 154, Newnan, Ga. It will be nice to get that started, too. We are really looking forward to beginning this club. If you need more information follow this link.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know when you become a beekeeper and I can buy honey from you. I know it's just a matter of time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deberah, I 'second' Angela's comment!
    I will also buy honey from you, thank you for a great blog, Joanie

    ReplyDelete