Thursday, February 2, 2012

My old standby -- Quickie pie


The other day I had to make a dessert to take somewhere and I wanted it to be good, yet easy. I also had some frozen peaches in the freezer from last summer that I needed to use. Not to mention there aren't many desserts better than a peach pie.

When I want to make something very easy I reach for my mother's old standby recipe, Quickie Pie. It is so easy because all you have to do is melt a little butter and pour it in a baking dish, mix up the next three ingredients and top it with fruit. Stick it in the oven and about an hour later, a really yummy pie.

It is sure easier than making a pie crust. So often I forget about old-fashioned recipes but when I pull out one and remember how great they are I wonder why I don't make them more often. This one is so easy. It may take an hour to bake but only minutes to mix up -- and it's so good with vanilla ice cream!

Quickie Fruit Pie
1 stick butter or margarine (Smart Balance works just fine)
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk (Almond milk works well in this recipe, too.)
3 cups sliced fresh peaches, slightly thawed frozen peaches or other fresh fruit

 Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a 2-quart oblong glass baking dish in the microwave. Mix flour, sugar, and milk in a mixing bowl and pour on top of the melted butter. Layer the fruit on top and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown (This recipe will take around 45 minutes if peaches are fresh or canned and longer if they are slightly frozen.)

2 comments:

  1. Quickie Pie sounds like a Yummy Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pie looks delicious - thank you for sharing.
    This is a good recipe to have, Joanie

    ReplyDelete