Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It's the year of the herb







 I just received an email declaring it was the year of the herb. I agree wholeheartedly with this statement because herbs are probably the best thing to grow in any garden, windowsill, porch or patio. I want to concentrate more on growing and using my herbs this year. I had already made that decision but when I saw that email, I had to add my agreement.

According to the article, Stevia is the number one plant that people are trying. When I bought my stevia several years ago, I found it at a Farmer's Market in another state. It certainly wasn't readily available at any of the places around here. I noticed that last year, you could buy it locally.


Herbs have so many positive qualities. They usually smell good, are easy to grow, don't need too much attention and bugs usually don't like them.


I think they are very pretty, too. The thyme, above, for instance looks very pretty in a mixed planting and it is quite a hearty plant.


I really love my mint and basil. These, plus stevia are probably my favorites. Until this year I had found that my mint was not coming back each year as I have read it should -- but this spring my mint really looks good.

I am planting more herbs in my garden to try and repel bugs but I don't know if that will work or not.

The only down side I can think of by this new appreciation of herbs is that the price of herb plants has gotten higher each year. I really need to go to the store to see if some of the lesser known and grown herbs are being sold. I wouldn't mind finding a new favorite or an herb that will keep insets away. That would certainly be worth it because herbs are the easiest thing I have ever grown and a great introduction to gardening.

1 comment:

  1. Great post - I love herbs too and it would be nice to be able to grow them. Most of the small herb plants I buy only last a few weeks and then, they're dead. I will see if I can pick up some growing tips from you, thank you! Joanie

    ReplyDelete