Monday, July 15, 2013

My favorite pimiento cheese



During summer months or when I travel, I always make pimento cheese to take along. There is absolutely nothing like it. I used to like the pimento cheese I found in the dairy case at the grocery store but now I am hooked on this pimento cheese recipe I make myself. It is low calorie and tastes like summer to me. I think it is the fresh herbs.



Herbed pimiento cheese


1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt, softened

1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise 

4 ounces nonfat cream cheese 
1/3 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley (or other herbs of your choice)
1 seven-ounce jar of pimentos, drained
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated 
Salt and pepper to taste



In a bowl mix the yogurt, mayonnaise and cream cheese and ricotta together until smooth and creamy. Add the onions, herbs and pimentos. Add the grated cheddar until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving so the flavor will be enhanced.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Deberah, how cool and delicious this looks! In the summertime, there's nothing like pimiento cheese spread, I love it from the dairy case but your recipe looks like one to try. *

    *Remember my 'Adventure in LaGrange,' when my husband was traveling for a week and I spent a Saturday in Downtown LaGrange? The little bakery on the Square in Downtown LaGrange had some Delicious (homemade) Pimiento Cheese, in their bakery case. It was so good!

    This is the same bakery that has the banner sign in the window: 'Casseroles & Cupcakes' for Sale! They also make 1/2 pie, 1/2 cake concoctions that looked so good (but thankfully, diet-wise, the couple in front of me in line - who had driven 1 1/2 hours just to get to this bakery, bought all the remaining 'Pakes!' I did not have to be tempted (but I did buy their homemade Pimiento Cheese spread and several truly delicious, decadent cupcakes...needless to say, the drive home to Newnan was 'calorie-filled...')

    Thanks for this recipe, it is one to try. Hope you're having a nice summer, Joanie


    ReplyDelete