Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our family fish fry


On Saturday our cousins got together at my sisters house for a fish fry. Around forty cousins, relatives, friends and neighbors gathered to eat fish and visit with each other. My cousin, Alan, above left, caught the fish and he, my husband and a few others worked to cook them up perfectly.

We served fish filets, hush puppies, French fries and slaw and everyone else brought side dishes and desserts.


The day was perfect. It threatened rain but we only had sprinkles and cool breezes.


My desire was to take beautiful photos of everything but I was stuck picking up folks, making sure my pie was done, everyone had what they needed and the ice cream freezers were filled with ice and rock salt and were churning ice cream while everyone visited.

When I should have been taking photos, I was either visiting, finding something for the cooks, or helping to prepare things for our guests.


That is why I didn't get the right photos of my black and blueberry pie until it was almost gone! I didn't expect it would disappear so quickly but by the time I moved in for a small serving there was hardly anything left. It was baked in my granny's large pie pan which has been holding pies for our family for more than 100 years. I will share that recipe later.

It was a very nice party and I felt blessed that so many cousins and friends could make it and we had such a good time with each other. We also were blessed that the weather cooperated for us. I hope we continue to have these get together a as often as possible.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice get together! I love your photos, you did get some of the pie, it looks like it was Delicious. Family, fish filets, hush puppies, black & blueberry pie, fresh ice cream: all the ingredients are there!
    Thanks for sharing & best wishes to a great family, Joanie

    ReplyDelete