Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Starting the fall garden

This morning I am dragging out the seeds from last year because it is time to start my fall garden.

Last season, (in the spring) I had great success with my seed starting and I am ready to pull out the grow lights and heating pads and start collards, broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach and more--mostly greens.


The thing I learned to give my seeds a jump-start was to make sure they have heat until they sprout and then light until they are large enough to take outside.


Last season I started things in little peat pots and this works quite well and in the beginning stages may be even easier than growing them in potting soil.

But they are kind of hard to extract from those little peat pots. You don't have to do it, but I think the plant grows better when you do.


Here are some collards from last year. If I can grow them from seeds, I plan to have all we can eat and more.

I hope I am good at starting fall seeds. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment