Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Polyphemus the Pumpkin


My grandson loves Halloween and he LOVES carving pumpkins. Last year, he had a great idea--a pumpkin eating pumpkin. It looked like this one below.


Apparently, it was so funny that they did the same (or similar) thing this year (at top), but it was inspired by Greek mythology and the Percy Jackson series of books based on Greek and Roman fables.

Polyphemus was the one-eyed son of Poseidon and Thoosa. He was a man-eating giant in Homer's Odyssey. I am guessing this makes him the perfect subject to carve in our continuing saga of pumpkin eating Halloween sculptures. I know it is very funny for 8 to 10 year olds and I think it is quite a creative idea. I like it better than any regular old Jack-o-lantern.

I would NEVER have come up with this idea since I must be the world's least knowledgeable about all things relating to mythology. I did know what a cyclops was though, so all it not lost.

2 comments: