Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Gluten-free fried chicken


I almost never fry chicken, but I am working on gluten-free recipes right now, and I was thinking that fried chicken might be something a person on a gluten-free diet might like. At least every now and then.

It was so simple to do. I just soaked the chicken in buttermilk, added salt and pepper and then dredge the chicken in a flour mixture of 1 cup potato starch and 1/4 cup sorghum flour. I just fried it like normal fried chicken and I will say it was the crispiest chicken I have ever made.

The great thing is that potato starch is not hard to find and sorghum is easier to find than it used to be. If you want to have a person who must not eat gluten over to dinner, try this main dish. It would probably work if you substituted almond milk for the buttermilk, too.

Fried chicken is not on my normal menu because I don't really think it is a healthy dish but this is really great and crispy and shocked my family because it was so good. It's also another way that a person allergic to wheat can have a great classic southern dish.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! And you know, I read somewhere recently than when chicken is properly fried, quickly and at a high temp, it's not so unhealthy as people think because it doesn't absorb a lot of the grease that way.

    ReplyDelete