Monday, March 24, 2014

Wild Violets


I've often wondered why some plants are weeds and some are considered perfect plants for potting or a garden. I can understand why some weeds aren't beloved because they show up like unwelcomed guests, and you can't get rid of them. 

Those plants can be ragged and ugly and may even cause you to sneeze. Not wild violets. I must admit that I really love them even though they are considered an invasive weed.



I was trying to identify another plant and I really thought it was this pretty violet with heart shaped leaves and purple flowers. Wild violets are lacy with nice purple flowers on stems that rise up from the frilly leaves.


I was trying to remember where I had seen them and a couple days ago I went in search of the violets I had seen about a year ago in a ditch.


When I got to the ditch, I almost didn't see them for the grass. I looked more closely and was so happy to see that not only were they there, but were prettier than ever.


So I dug around in my car till I found a plastic fork and I dug some violets that are wild and invasive, but just may make a very nice plant for my yard since they obviously come back, year after year.

For me, they are not an invasive weed, but a flower that is perfect for me. Next time I will go to the ditch with a shovel and I will definitely not plant them around my nice lawn grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment